What You Should If You are Injured in a Stockton Car Accident

After a car accident in Stockton, one of the things you want to do is to file a car insurance claim. If the accident was caused by another driver, you will file a claim against their insurance provider. You will particularly want to fight a claim when it involves a substantial sum. And if the insurer denies your claim, you will need to file an appeal. Instead of allowing it to get to this point, it is best to hire a Stockton car accident attorney from the get-go. When you hire an attorney, they will review your case as well as help you build and file a claim. Keep reading to learn more information about filing a car insurance claim in Stockton, CA:

How Much Time Do You Have to File a Claim?

If you sustained injuries in a car accident, you must file a claim before the statute of limitations expires. In California, you can sue for car-accident-related injuries within six months of the crash. If you want to file for property damage, you have three years to do so. But keep in mind that this time limit only applies to lawsuits filed following the crash and not after you have filed the actual insurance claim. Thus, if you have suffered injuries, you must contact a car accident attorney as soon as possible. 

If your attorney determines that you have a claim, you must inform your insurance provider right away. Delaying can reduce your chances of recovering damages. If your accident injuries are discovered a few months later, you can file a claim with the court within one year from the date of the injury’s discovery. 

What to Do When Filing a Claim

After a car accident in Stockton, you need to exchange information with the other driver, particularly if they are to blame for the crash. Even if you contributed to the accident, you may still be able to recover damages depending on your percentage of fault. 

It is imperative to inform the California DMV within ten days of the crash if somebody has been injured or has died due to the crash or if the crash led to property damage worth more than $1, 000.  Keep in mind that reporting a car accident to your insurance company or the DMV is different from suing for damages. Also, you may need to file a lawsuit when the at-fault party or their insurer refuses to pay the damages you want to recover.  

Eric Sara
the authorEric Sara